Inside the WebMerge installation folder, you'll find a folder name Tutorial which contains the files you'll need to complete this exercise. While the file listing shown here is from Mac OS, the arrangement of the files are the same on both platforms.
This tutorial takes only a few minutes to complete, and will introduce you to the basics of using WebMerge.
What You'll Need
The files and folders needed for this tutorial are:
A Merge-format file exported from a database of fictional journal entries.
- Web_pages (folder)
This is the target folder for the generated HTML files.
This is inside the Templates folder, with placeholder tags for creating your detail pages.
This is inside the Templates folder, with placeholder tags for creating your index page.
Learning WebMerge in Nine Quick Steps
To run the example files through WebMerge:
- Launch the WebMerge application
- Click the button labeled "Exported File..." in the Sources tab, and select the file named "EvesDiaryExport.txt".
- Once you select the exported file, WebMerge will update the other controls in the Sources tab. The initial delimiter settings are derived from WebMerge's analysis of the data in the source file. In most cases WebMerge's defaults are just what you'll need, but it's always good to check. Since we know the format of the file and the program that exported it, we can ensure the delimiters are set correctly by selecting "FileMaker Pro: Merge" from the popup list at the right.
- Click the Index Pages tab, and then click the checkbox labeled "Create Index Pages". This will trigger the "Folder..." button next to the checkbox, letting you select the folder you want the pages generated in. In the folder selection dialog, choose the folder to generate your index page in (Tutorial/Web_pages/).
- Still in the Index Pages tab, click the button labeled "Use one template file for Index pages". This will trigger the "File..." button next to it. In the file selection dialog that appears, select the file named "IndexTemplate.html" in the Tutorial/Templates folder. The defaults for the other controls on this page are fine for this tutorial.
- Click the Detail Pages tab, and the click the checkbox labeled "Create Detail Pages". This will trigger the "Folder..." button next to the checkbox, letting you select the folder you want the detail pages generated in. In the folder selection dialog, choose the folder to generate your detail pages in (Tutorial/Web_pages/entries/).
- Still in the Detail Pages tab, click the button labeled "Use one template file for Detail pages". This will trigger the "File..." button next to it. In the file selection dialog that appears, select the file named "DetailTemplate.html" in the Tutorial/Templates/ folder.
- Near the bottom of the Detail Pages tab, select the radio control named "Name based on contents of field:", and in the popup control next to it select "ID" if it's not already selected. This tells WebMerge to name the new detail files based on the contents of the field named "ID" in each record of the source file. These files will be generated into the folder you specified in step 6.
- Now you're ready to start generating pages. Just click the button labeled "Build Pages", and WebMerge will generate the files into the folders you specified. When it's done, WebMerge will present a dialog window reporting how many records were processed and how long it took.
That's it! You've just learned the basics of using WebMerge. To learn more, see the topics in the Using WebMerge section of these Help pages, and check out the files included in the WebMerge_Examples folder.